This is one of my go to vegetarian meals for my daughter. It is semi pre-made as I use a puff pastry sheet as the flatbread base. The vegetables also are what we like, but feel free to use what you like.
1 Puff pastry sheet, thawed halfway
1 small tin of tomato paste
Half red onion thin sliced
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup Cauliflower florets sliced into thin slices
4-5 asparagus stalks cut in half
1 handful of spinach
1/4 cup corn tin or 1 ear cut off the cobb
1/4 cup mushrooms
1/4 cup feta cheese or mozzarella
1 egg – whisked with a little water
1 cup balsamic vinegar
Special tools: Rolling pin, pizza cutter, large sheet pan
- Pre-Heat oven according to pastry directions
- Cut a large piece of Foil and put on countertop.
- Put a small amount of flour on foil
- Put pastry sheet on foil and roll out into a large rectangle. This is a rustic dish so it doesn’t have to be perfect!
- Fold in the edges of the pastry sheet to create a small frame around the flatbread
- Use a fork and make some holes in the pastry and brush on egg wash on the folded sides
- Put foil onto large sheet pan
- Bake in the oven until slightly brown on the interior of the flatbread (about 10 min) remove from the oven.
- Start by sautéing vegetables in Olive Oil – onion garlic, corn, mushrooms, spinach, asparagus in that order. Season with a seasoned salt mix like Lawry’s (I also find nice seasoning mixes at Marshalls/Home Goods)
Once veggies are cooked but still slightly firm remove from heat.
- Spread the bottom of the flat with tomato paste.
- Layer the vegetables from the pan
- Sprinkle cheese sparingly around
- Put flatbread in oven and bake for another 15 minutes and broil for approx 2 minutes.
- In a small pan boil balsamic vinegar until it reduces into a syrup. Use as a sauce and drizzle over top.