Ok so living in America, working full time and always on the go, Aint nobody got time to make traditional Rice and Peas like it is done in Jamaica! I mean in jamaica they actually grate the coconut and turn it into the milk for the rice. The original, traditional way is always the best but adaptation for busy American life is a necessity! We cook a big pot sometimes on Sunday and have the rest for in the week. Rice and peas is usually served with Sunday dinner and every important holiday! It is always a dish that reminds me of happy times with the family.
Rice and Peas
- 3 Cups of long grain rice
- 1 tin Red Kidney Beans or Gungo Peas (Pigeon Peas)
- 1 tin Coconut Milk
- 1 and 3/4 tin water (use empty coconut milk tin)
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 sprig thyme
- 1 stalk eskellion/green onion cut in half
- 1 Garlic clove crushed
- 5-10 all spice berries
- Seasoned Salt/pepper
- 2 tsp of each onion and garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients in rice cooker and stir seasonings in well. Taste water to see if it is seasoned enough. Adjust seasonings accordingly. Put rice cooker on regular white rice setting depending on machine. Once the cooker goes to steam check if the rice is cooked enough, if not add a little water and continue to steam and check until done. Enjoy!