At most family gatherings my pasta salad is usually on the menu. It is a good side dish for large gatherings and Bbq’s and is a family favorite. I usually have to make extra as usually people take some to go. This is one of the many recipes I get asked for all the time. Of course you can adjust to your liking anything I use, these veggies are what we like.
Gina’s Pasta Salad
This should be done from the night before or early in the morning so it can cool properly.
- 1 Box of Tri-cololred Rotini
- 1 pound of Shrimp – Peeled & Deveined
- 1 bunch of Broccoli – Chopped into small florets
- Carrot sticks/baby peeled Carrots – Cut into Julienne strips
- 1 Tin Sliced black olive – Pre-cooled in fridge
- 1 Tin Mexican Corn Pre-cooled in fridge
- 1 Red sweet pepper – cut into small dice & Pre-cooled in fridge
- 1 yellow Sweet pepper – cut into small dice & Pre-cooled in fridge
- 1/2 Red onion – cut into small dice & Pre-cooled in fridge
- 1 container of cherry tomatoes – cut in quarters or halves & Pre-cooled in fridge
- 1 tin of Spam cut into small cubes (optional)
- Italian salad dressing
Put a large stock pot on to boil. Salt the water and also put some Mrs Dash seasoning mix in the water. Bring water to a boil and add pasta. Pasta should cook in total for about 8 Minutes. DO NOT OVER COOK! half way through the pasta cooking add to the water the peeled shrimp, broccoli, & Carrots. once the pasta and shrimp are cooked strain and rinse with cool/cold water. TIP: (I add ice to the water to make it cool down quickly)
While the pasta is cooling add in a bowl or metal tray all of the pre cooled items and mix together. Then once the pasta has cooled enough add pasta mixture to the cooled vegetables mix well. put 2-4 tbl spoons of Italian dressing so it keeps moist. Cover with foil and cool 2-4 hours.
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 2 cups of Hellman’s Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Mrs Dash
- 2 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs Italian dressing
- 3 tbs ketchup
- 1 bunch chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 tsp brown mustard
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
Dressing can be made ahead of time and may be adjusted to taste. Mix into cooled pasta so it coats pasta and veggies evenly.